Thursday, August 8, 2013

Last Day at St. Jude's

It's Thursday afternoon and my last day in Gulu Town. Gulu Town, which has become my home for the last 5 weeks. I can't believe I'm packing to leave this incredible place and even more beautiful people. Yesterday was my last day at St. Jude's. By no surprise, saying goodbye to my children and new friends was one of the most difficult experiences of my life thus far. My fellow intern, Hannah, and I asked the teachers to translate some conversations with the children we became particularly close to. We had the teachers tell the kids we were so thankful to meet them, that we will miss them, and that we love them. Only some of them could actually grasp the concept of us not returning, but others (including my buddy Juliet, 2) didn't fully understand. Either way, Hannah and I left in tears holding on to our memories and photos of St. Jude's.
One of the orphanage "mamas" 

Some of the children who live at St. Jude's 

Painting hands for the newly added mural 

Beautiful new mural

Hannah with some of the St. Jude's children 

Moses, one of the children with special needs 

One of the little girls in the 3 year old class, K1

Nursery school children getting ready to march 

Ken in front of the nursery school 

Juliet, my best friend from St. Jude's 

Eman, an 8 year old girl with autism 


Face painting 

Regina with her freshly painted flower 

Hannah's best friend, Sunday 

Jovanna & Scovia, two girls from our class 

Barely surviving the everyday chaos 

No comments:

Post a Comment