Sunday, July 20, 2014

First Day of Work

              The first day I went to my internship at the Center for Reparations and Rehabilitation I was extremely nervous. I had never worked in an office before, and now my first time was going to be in northern Uganda. These nerves were mixed with a level of excitement. I would be working with a local organization to help right the wrongs of the land wranglers, and I would also be working with Sex and Gender Based Violence victims; I could think of no better way to spend my four weeks.
                I arose early in the morning to take a van from my hotel to where I would be working for the next four weeks. As I looked out the window to become familiar with my future route, I saw the dusty road and the large market of tailors, fish, and shoes. It was really dawning on me that this was going to be a truly unique experience.
                We pulled up to a small office with a group of men and women chatting on the porch. I stepped out of the van to meet my new co-workers. The first man I met was on the larger side and had an infectious smile from ear to ear. His name was Thomas. I did not know it at the time, but Thomas would be one of my best pals at the CRR; his continual jokes coupled with his expertise on his work make him a joy to work with. I continued with my introductions and was whisked around the office as I got the entire tour. I met people by the names of Gloria, Emmanuel, and Max and every single one was Ugandan.
                At first I was worried about working with only Ugandans. There were so many foreseeable issues including language and cultural barriers, but now as I sit at my desk in the psycho-social department I am glad that it is this way. I feel like I would have been robbed of the entire experience if it was any other way. Sometimes when I am working in the office I do feel like a complete foreigner though, but then Thomas pops his head in with a big smile, and suddenly I feel right at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment